- 1 What paperwork do I need to sell my car in Illinois?
- 2 How much does it cost to sell a car in Illinois?
- 3 Is a bill of sale required in Illinois?
- 4 How do I notify the DMV when I sell my car?
- 5 How much is tax title and license on a car in Illinois?
- 6 How much will license plates cost in Illinois in 2020?
- 7 Is it cheaper to transfer plates or get new ones?
- 8 How much does it cost for title transfer in Illinois?
- 9 What documents are needed to transfer car title in Illinois?
- 10 How much does it cost to transfer a car title to a family member in Illinois?
- 11 Do you pay sales tax on a private car sale in Illinois?
- 12 How long can I drive on a bill of sale in Illinois?
- 13 Can a bill of sale be written on a piece of paper?
- 14 How do you get a title for a car with a bill of sale in Illinois?
What paperwork do I need to sell my car in Illinois?
In Illinois, the only legally required documents to sell a car are your title and registration. Provided these two documents are in good order, you are ready to sell the vehicle. If the title has a lien on it, the lien will need to be paid off before you can sell the car.
How much does it cost to sell a car in Illinois?
The buyer must pay $95 to the Secretary of State, and a tax to the Department of Revenue. For vehicles worth less than $15,000, the tax is based on the age of the vehicle. It starts at $390 for a one- year old vehicle. It ends with $25 for vehicles at least 11 years old.
Is a bill of sale required in Illinois?
Illinois doesn’t require a bill of sale and the state doesn’t have a standardized form for one. Any vehicle bill of sale template or document you create should include the following information: The seller’s name and contact information.
How do I notify the DMV when I sell my car?
You must notify DMV that you have sold, traded or donated your vehicle. This may be accomplished by going online, visiting a customer service center or contacting us by phone.
How much is tax title and license on a car in Illinois?
How much does it cost to title and register my vehicle in Illinois? The total fee for a standard vehicle is $301 ($150 vehicle title + $151 registration/license plates).
How much will license plates cost in Illinois in 2020?
At the start of 2020, the vehicle registration fee will go up $50 (to $151 ), and the state dealer fee will be increased by $125 (to $300).
Is it cheaper to transfer plates or get new ones?
It’s also much cheaper and easier to transfer personalized plates than it is to cancel them and purchase them again with your new vehicle. Even if you don’t have a personalized license plate, there are many reasons to transfer your current license plate number from your old vehicle to your new one.
How much does it cost for title transfer in Illinois?
How Much Does It Cost To Transfer A Car Title In Illinois? Title fees in Illinois are $95, and they’re due at the time of transfer. Those coming from another state have 30 days to officially transfer their title, while those who buy or inherit a car need to register their car within 20 days.
What documents are needed to transfer car title in Illinois?
You’ll need a copy of the letters of administration. If the will is not probated, and its value is $100,000 or less, you will need to provide the SOS with a copy of the will (certified), a copy of the death certificate, a small estate affidavit with the vehicle’s information (VIN, make, model, etc.) and the title.
How much does it cost to transfer a car title to a family member in Illinois?
Go to a Secretary of State office in person to handle the required paperwork. You can also mail the completed forms, signed title, $15 tax fee (as of April 2011) and the $95 title transfer fee (as of April 2011) to the Secretary of State, Vehicle Services Department, 501 S.
Do you pay sales tax on a private car sale in Illinois?
Do you pay taxes when buying a car privately in Illinois? You have to pay a use tax when you purchase a car in a private sale in Illinois. The tax rate is based on the purchase price or fair market value of the car.
How long can I drive on a bill of sale in Illinois?
Private Purchase of a Vehicle If you buy your vehicle from a private party without the assistance of a dealer, you can legally drive the vehicle without a license plate for 24 hours, but you must have the title to the vehicle with you when you are driving.
Can a bill of sale be written on a piece of paper?
Can a Bill of Sale Be Handwritten? A bill of sale is a legal document that verifies you have sold your car and provides basic information about the vehicle or any other item and the terms of the sale. As, with any legal written document a bill of sale can be handwritten.
How do you get a title for a car with a bill of sale in Illinois?
How Do I Get a Bonded Title?
- Submit any evidence you have of your ownership of the vehicle, such as a bill of sale.
- Obtain the vehicle’s current wholesale value from an authorized source.
- Purchase an Illinois title bond in an amount equal to 1 ½ times the vehicle’s value.
- Complete a Motor Vehicle Use Tax Return.