- 1 What paperwork do I need to sell my car in Illinois?
- 2 How much does it cost to sell a car in Illinois?
- 3 What is the best way to sell car privately?
- 4 What documents are needed to transfer car title in Illinois?
- 5 How do I notify the DMV when I sell my car?
- 6 How much will license plates cost in Illinois in 2020?
- 7 Is it cheaper to transfer plates or get new ones?
- 8 How much does it cost for plates and registration in Illinois?
- 9 How much does it cost to transfer a car title to a family member in Illinois?
- 10 Does a bill of sale have to be notarized in Illinois?
- 11 How do I transfer title on a car in Illinois?
- 12 What is best way to sell car?
- 13 How do I sell my car for best price?
- 14 What do you give a buyer when selling a car?
What paperwork do I need to sell my car in Illinois?
In Illinois, the only legally required documents to sell a car are your title and registration. Provided these two documents are in good order, you are ready to sell the vehicle. If the title has a lien on it, the lien will need to be paid off before you can sell the car.
How much does it cost to sell a car in Illinois?
The buyer must pay $95 to the Secretary of State, and a tax to the Department of Revenue. For vehicles worth less than $15,000, the tax is based on the age of the vehicle. It starts at $390 for a one- year old vehicle. It ends with $25 for vehicles at least 11 years old.
What is the best way to sell car privately?
Posting your ad online is the most common way to facilitate a private car sale. You can post an ad on social media platforms such as Facebook, on sale websites such as eBay or Gumtree, or on a free or paid online classifieds page.
What documents are needed to transfer car title in Illinois?
What Do You Need To Transfer A Car Title In Illinois? If you’re registering a car in Illinois from another state, you’ll need the original title and registration, an Application for a Vehicle Transaction, and proof of residency. If you have a lien on the car, you’ll need a copy of the title and the bill of sale.
How do I notify the DMV when I sell my car?
You must notify DMV that you have sold, traded or donated your vehicle. This may be accomplished by going online, visiting a customer service center or contacting us by phone.
How much will license plates cost in Illinois in 2020?
At the start of 2020, the vehicle registration fee will go up $50 (to $151 ), and the state dealer fee will be increased by $125 (to $300).
Is it cheaper to transfer plates or get new ones?
It’s also much cheaper and easier to transfer personalized plates than it is to cancel them and purchase them again with your new vehicle. Even if you don’t have a personalized license plate, there are many reasons to transfer your current license plate number from your old vehicle to your new one.
How much does it cost for plates and registration in Illinois?
How much does it cost to title and register my vehicle in Illinois? The total fee for a standard vehicle is $301 ($150 vehicle title + $151 registration/license plates).
How much does it cost to transfer a car title to a family member in Illinois?
Go to a Secretary of State office in person to handle the required paperwork. You can also mail the completed forms, signed title, $15 tax fee (as of April 2011) and the $95 title transfer fee (as of April 2011) to the Secretary of State, Vehicle Services Department, 501 S.
Does a bill of sale have to be notarized in Illinois?
Bills of sale do not require notarization in the state of Illinois, but it is always an option.
How do I transfer title on a car in Illinois?
Here’s what you need to do:
- Make sure you receive the completed title from the seller.
- Complete the Application for Vehicle Transaction(s).
- Obtain and complete the Private Party Vehicle Tax Transaction form, which can only be found at a local SOS office.
- Pay the $95 title transfer fee.
- Name changes: $15 per name.
What is best way to sell car?
Here are a few of the best ways to sell a car:
- Word of mouth. This can be one of the best, easiest ways to sell a car or truck.
- Instant Cash Offer. Kelley Blue Book’s Instant Cash Offer is a great, hassle-free way to sell a car or truck.
- Sell to CarMax or another Dealership.
- Sell privately.
How do I sell my car for best price?
The 5 Best Ways To Sell Your Car (In Terms of Ease, Value, And Convenience)
- First, get the value of your car.
- Option #1: Trade it in for your new car.
- Option #2: Sell it to an outside dealer.
- Option #3: Sell it to CarMax.
- Option #4: Sell to a private party.
- Option #5: Take a shot on the “We Buy Cars For Cash” offerings.
What do you give a buyer when selling a car?
In many states, the seller signs the back of the existing title, along with the date, sales price, and exact odometer reading* before handing it over to the buyer. You should also make a copy of the signed title (both sides) for your records.