- 1 Why is the violet the state flower of Illinois?
- 2 What is Illinois State animal?
- 3 What does the Illinois flower look like?
- 4 What is the Illinois state flower and why?
- 5 What is the most popular flower in Illinois?
- 6 What is the nickname of Illinois?
- 7 What animal represents Indiana?
- 8 What is the bird of Illinois?
- 9 What number state is Illinois?
- 10 What are 5 interesting facts about Illinois?
Why is the violet the state flower of Illinois?
The violet was chosen as the official state flower of Illinois after a 1907 vote from Illinois schoolchildren to vote for their favorite flower. Then Senator Jackson sponsored a bill to make the violet the official state flower. It became law on January 21, 1908.
What is Illinois State animal?
State Animal — White-tailed Deer: The white-tailed deer was selected the state animal by Illinois schoolchildren in 1980 and became official by law in 1982.
What does the Illinois flower look like?
The purple violet flowers are usually approximately ¾ to 1 inch wide. The flower has five rounded petals. The bottom petal often functions as a landing platform for insects. Above the bottom, petal is two lateral petals, which are characterized by white hairs.
What is the Illinois state flower and why?
In 1907 Illinois schoolchildren voted to select the violet as the state flower and the native oak as state tree (other contenders for state flower were the wild rose and goldenrod). There are eight different species of blue-flowering violets in Illinois; the most common is the dooryard violet (Viola sororia).
What is the most popular flower in Illinois?
Illinois State Flower – The Violet
- Botanical Name. Violet viola.
- Year Adopted. 1908.
- Peak Bloom. April to August.
- History. The violet was selected after a 1907 vote taken among Illinois schoolchildren for their favorite flower.
- Fun Fact. When smelling a violet, one whiff is all you get.
What is the nickname of Illinois?
/: What is the nickname of Illinois?
What is Illinois known for?
- 9 things Illinois is known for. Illinois is one of the most populated states in the country, albeit getting smaller, according to recent U.S. Census results.
- Chicago. This one is a no-brainer.
- Famous foods.
- More presidents: Ronald Reagan, Barack Obama and Ulysses Grant.
What animal represents Indiana?
There is no state animal of Indiana, although the state does have other official emblems. The cardinal probably comes closest to being the state animal of Indiana, but technically, it is the state bird.
What is the bird of Illinois?
The state’s industrial outputs include machinery, food processing, electrical equipment, chemical products, publishing, fabricated metal products and transportation equipment. Corn and soybeans are important agricultural products.
What number state is Illinois?
Illinois became the 21st state on December 3, 1818.
What are 5 interesting facts about Illinois?
2 Illinois was the first state in the U.S. to ratify the Constitution’s 13th amendment which abolished slavery. 3 The first McDonald’s was built in Des Plaines, IL. 4 Illinois produces more nuclear energy than any other state in the country. 5 Twinkies were first invented in River Forest, IL in 1930. 6