- 1 What is the official fish of your state Illinois?
- 2 Why is the bluegill the state fish of Illinois?
- 3 What is Illinois State animal?
- 4 What is the state nickname of Illinois?
- 5 Where is the best crappie fishing in Illinois?
- 6 Do all states have a state fish?
- 7 What is the most famous food in Illinois?
- 8 Is there a state insect?
- 9 What is the flower of Illinois?
- 10 What is Illinois known for?
- 11 What animal represents Indiana?
- 12 What are 5 facts about Illinois?
What is the official fish of your state Illinois?
Illinois State Fish – Bluegill The bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus) was elected the State Fish in 1986 by Illinois schoolchildren.
Why is the bluegill the state fish of Illinois?
In 1986, the bluegill, (Lepomis macrochirus,) was selected by school children as Illinois’ state fish. Its name comes from the bright blue gill covers found on many males.
What is Illinois State animal?
State Animal — White-tailed Deer: The white-tailed deer was selected the state animal by Illinois schoolchildren in 1980 and became official by law in 1982.
What is the state nickname of Illinois?
Alaska. With some of the most impressive species of fish and the grandest sights you can find on the planet, Alaska is an absolute perfect location for anyone who is passionate about angling.
Where is the best crappie fishing in Illinois?
Illinois’ Spring Crappie Hotspots
- LAKE SHELBYVILLE.
- LAKE DECATUR.
- LAKE MATTOON.
- MILL CREEK LAKE.
- SANGCHRIS LAKE.
- LAKE TAYLORVILLE.
- CRAB ORCHARD LAKE.
- REND LAKE.
Do all states have a state fish?
Official State Fish Designations of the 50 US States Lungfish gulp air. Of course four states have no official state fish at all: Arkansas, Indiana, Kansas, and Ohio. Iowa has an un-official state fish.
What is the most famous food in Illinois?
What to eat in Illinois? 10 Most Popular Illinoisan foods
- Hot Pepper. Sport Peppers. Chicago.
- Chicken Dish. Chicken Vesuvio. Chicago.
- Sandwich. Mother-in-Law. Chicago.
- Sandwich. Maxwell Street Polish. Chicago.
- Pizza. Stuffed Pizza. Chicago.
- Pizza. Chicago Thin Crust Pizza. Chicago.
- Hot Dog. Chicago-Style Hot Dog.
- Sandwich. Italian Beef.
Is there a state insect?
The Dogface Butterfly, Zerene eurydice, was officially adopted as the state insect of California in 1929.
What is the flower of Illinois?
In 1907 Illinois schoolchildren voted to select the violet as the state flower and the native oak as state tree (other contenders for state flower were the wild rose and goldenrod). There are eight different species of blue-flowering violets in Illinois; the most common is the dooryard violet (Viola sororia).
What is Illinois known for?
Here are a few.
- 9 things Illinois is known for. Illinois is one of the most populated states in the country, albeit getting smaller, according to recent U.S. Census results.
- Chicago. This one is a no-brainer.
- Famous foods.
- More presidents: Ronald Reagan, Barack Obama and Ulysses Grant.
What animal represents Indiana?
There is no state animal of Indiana, although the state does have other official emblems. The cardinal probably comes closest to being the state animal of Indiana, but technically, it is the state bird.
What are 5 facts about Illinois?
Illinois State Information
- Capital: Springfield.
- Population: 13 million.
- Nickname: The Prairie State.
- Key Cities: Chicago, Champaign, Peoria, Rockford, Springfield.
- Postal Abbreviation: IL.
- Major Industries: Service industry, manufacturing, agriculture, mining.
- Size: 57,915 sq.
- Lowest point: Mississippi River at 279 feet.