What county is Petersburg Illinois in?
Petersburg, city, seat (1839) of Menard county, central Illinois, U.S. It lies on the Sangamon River, about 20 miles (30 km) northwest of Springfield. The area was settled about 1820, and in 1836 a plat for Petersburg (named for Peter Lukins, who owned land on the site) was surveyed by Abraham Lincoln.
Is Petersburg Il safe?
According to NeighborhoodScout’s analysis of FBI crime statistics, Petersburg is safer than 60% of the cities and towns in the US of all population sizes. In Illinois, only on the order of 47% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Petersburg.
When was Petersburg Il founded?
Our history dates back to 1833 when George Warburton and Peter Lukins, friends of Abraham Lincoln, founded Petersburg. Abraham Lincoln actually surveyed the town in 1835-1836.
What is in Petersburg Il?
- 2020. Lincoln’s New Salem State Historic Site.
- Hand of Fate Brewing Company. Breweries.
- West of Wise Winery. Wineries & Vineyards.
- Clayville Historic Site. Cemeteries, Ghost Towns.
- Rail Golf Course. Golf Courses.
- Air Combat Museum.
- Illinois State Military Museum.
- Illinois State Police Heritage Foundation Museum.
How big is Lake Petersburg?
102 S. 7th St. Named for Pierre Menard, a pioneer Indian trader, Colonel of the Territorial militia, and first Lieutenant Governor of Illinois.
What township is Petersburg in?